Com Cal, 3.5
* Frederica Academy fifth-graders will portray historic figures from the 1700s at the Wax Museum event from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. at the Coastal Georgia Historical Society, 610 Beachview Drive, St. Simons Island. The event is free.
Thursday, March 6
* Brunswick-Glynn County Library, 208 Gloucester St., Brunswick, will host the Winter's Night Mystery Group at 6 p.m. Sue Grafton's book, "A is for Alibi" will be discussed.
* Glynn Career Network will meet from 7 to 9:30 p.m. in Room C of the Parish Hall at St. William Catholic Church, 2300 Frederica Road, St. Simons Island. The meeting is designed to help individuals with career transitions.
* Ida Hilton Public Library, 1105 North Way, Darien, will host a 4- and 9-patch disappearing block class from 1 to 4 p.m.
* National Alliance on Mental Illness Recovery Support Groups will meet at 7 p.m. in conference rooms 2 and 3 at the Southeast Georgia Health System, 2415 Parkwood Drive, Brunswick. Details: 506-2963.
* Overeaters Anonymous will have a newcomer information meeting at 7 p.m. in Conference Room 4 of the Southeast Georgia Health System hospital, 2415 Parkwood Drive, Brunswick.
Friday, March 7
* Downtown Development Authority will have First Friday, beginning at 5 p.m., with shops and restaurants along Newcastle Street remaining open late. The Ritz Theatre will host an opening reception of award-winning student art exhibit, Reflections.
* Glynn Environmental Coalition will have its First Friday Lunch at 11 a.m. at International House of Pancakes (I-HOP), 5031 New Jesup Hwy., Brunswick. Ashby Nix, the new Satilla Riverkeeper, will speak. Details: 466-0934.
* Hattie's Bookstore, 1531 Newcastle St., Brunswick, will host a book signing of author Marshall Rowland's newest book, "Fertilizer Tween My Toes" from 5 to 8 p.m.
* Ida Hilton Public Library, 1105 North Way, Darien, will host demonstrations by Coastal Georgia Quilt Guild from 5 to 7 p.m. in the children's reading area.
Saturday, March 8
* Brunswick-Glynn County Library, 208 Gloucester St., Brunswick, will host an AARP smart driver class at 9 a.m. The six-hour refresher course, approved by the Georgia Department of Transportation, is free but the required book costs $15 for AARP members and $20 for nonmembers. For reservations: 634-5997.
* Glynn County Animal Services will have its pet adoption van outside Pet Supplies Plus, 211 Golden Isles Plaza, Glynn County, and St. Simons Island Pier from 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
* Golden Isles Track Club will host a fun run at 9 a.m. at Mallery Park, 601 Mallery St., St. Simons Island. There will be a 5-kilometer and a 1-mile course. Light refreshments will be provided. Details: 268-2740 or 404-832-0545.
* G.J. Ford Bookshop will host crime author Randy Wayne White for a meet and greet from 1 to 2:30 p.m. White will speak at the Literary Guild of St. Simons Island at 3:30 p.m.
Sunday, March 9
* Coastal Georgia Genealogical Society will host a talk by C. Ann Staley, a certified genealogist, at 2 p.m. at the St. Simons Island Fire Station, 1929 Old Demere Road, St. Simons Island.
Tuesday, March 11
* Brunswick-Glynn County Library, 208 Gloucester St., Brunswick, will have story time at 10:30 a.m. for preschoolers and young home-schooled children.
* Brunswick-Glynn County Library, 208 Gloucester St., Brunswick, will host a talk by retirement consultant Tim Anderson at 6:30 p.m. He will talk about top retirement tips and decisions. Details: 267-1212.