Com Cal, 3.7
* Downtown Development Authority will have First Friday, beginning at 5 p.m., with shops and restaurants along Newcastle Street remaining open late. The Ritz Theatre will host an opening reception of award-winning student art exhibit, Reflections.
* Glynn Environmental Coalition will have its First Friday Lunch at 11 a.m. at International House of Pancakes (IHOP), 5031 New Jesup Hwy., Brunswick. Ashby Nix, the new Satilla Riverkeeper, will speak. Details: 466-0934.
* Hattie's Bookstore, 1531 Newcastle St., Brunswick, will host a book signing of author Marshall Rowland's newest book, "Fertilizer Tween My Toes" from 5 to 8 p.m.
* Ida Hilton Public Library, 1105 North Way, Darien, will host demonstrations by Coastal Georgia Quilt Guild from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the classroom.
Saturday, March 8
* Brunswick-Glynn County Library, 208 Gloucester St., Brunswick, will host an AARP smart driver class at 9 a.m. The six-hour refresher course, approved by the Georgia Department of Transportation, is free but the required book costs $15 for AARP members and $20 for nonmembers. For reservations: 634-5997.
* Glynn County Animal Services will have its pet adoption van outside Pet Supplies Plus, 211 Golden Isles Plaza, Glynn County, and St. Simons Island Pier from 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
* Golden Isles Track Club will host a fun run at 9 a.m. at Mallery Park, 601 Mallery St., St. Simons Island. There will be a 5-kilometer and a 1-mile course. Light refreshments will be provided. Details: 268-2740 or 404-832-0545.
* G.J. Ford Bookshop will host crime author Randy Wayne White for a meet and greet from 1 to 2:30 p.m. White will speak at the Literary Guild of St. Simons Island at 3:30 p.m.
Sunday, March 9
* Coastal Georgia Genealogical Society will host a talk by C. Ann Staley, a certified genealogist, at 2 p.m. She will discuss overlooked research sources. at the St. Simons Island Fire Station, 1929 Old Demere Road, St. Simons Island.
Tuesday, March 11
* Brunswick-Glynn County Library, 208 Gloucester St., Brunswick, will have story time at 10:30 a.m. for preschoolers and young home-schooled children.
* Brunswick-Glynn County Library, 208 Gloucester St., Brunswick, will host a talk by retirement consultant Tim Anderson at 6:30 p.m. He will talk about top retirement tips and decisions. Details: 267-1212.
* College Goal Georgia and Altamaha Technical College will offer financial aid assistance from 5 to 7 p.m. at in Room 441 in the Career Center, 4404 Glynco Parkway, Brunswick. Details: collegegoalga.com or call Aundra Vaughn, 912-280-4000 ext 4208, or Jovon Jones, 912-588-2581.
* Overeaters Anonymous will have a newcomer information meeting at 7 p.m. in the conference room at St. Simons by the Sea hospital, 2927 Demere Road, St. Simons Island.
Wednesday, March 12
* Brunswick-Glynn County Library, 208 Gloucester St., Brunswick, will present a movie at 2 p.m. as part of The Big Read Western Movies series. For movie title: 267-1212.
* The Brunswick Woman's Club will meet at 12:30 pm at Ole Times Country Buffet, 665 Scranton Road, Brunswick. Jimmy Franklin, Dean of Students at Tallulah Falls School, will speak.